[vorbis] Newbie question

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Fri Dec 14 02:51:47 PST 2001

Angels Flores wrote:
> server. Actually I have installed Icecast, LiveIce and the Lame
> encoder and they works... but in mp3 format. Lame and Icecast don't
> have any problem with Vorbis but Icecast don't seem to support it.

Since you didn't tell us, which versions of Icecast etc you're using, I
assume it's Icecast 1.x, because Icecast1 is the only Icecast that can
be downloaded through www.icecast.org until now.

You need Icecast2 to get Vorbis streaming. An official alpha release is
due pretty soon, but why wait - Icecast2 from CVS is working really
good. Check out the module "icecast" from Xiph's AnonCVS (you can get
all the necessary information from http://www.xiph.org/cvs.html ) and
read the file named HACKING. It tells what else you need (e.g. some
additional modules you'd have to check out from under the src directory)
and how the installation procedure looks like.

You'll need a few external libraries, like libxml, libogg, libvorbis etc
and tools like autoconf and automake to get it to work. The autogen.sh
and configure scripts will complain and tell you what else you need.

things