[vorbis] PROPOSAL: Sub-Tagging

MARK JAMES HETHERINGTON mark.hetherington at studentmail.newcastle.edu.au
Sun Dec 9 17:19:02 PST 2001

I understand that I can have an artist tag and it will be compliant,
just I dislike that you say "it should be an extreme nuisance", I'd
prefer you worded your proposal like "The artist tag should be avoided,
users are encouraged to use Performer".

Hmmm, I'm going to have to look at my Grip configuration and attempt to
get it to start shuffling freedb info into "performer" and "Artist".
I don't think I'll abandon the artist tag, i figure having the info
duplicated in two tags should make sure players display it as they have
been, and still make things "nicer" for people who love their tags :-)

My main problem with using an Ensemble tag is that it would be hard to
configure my ripping software to use Ensemble where appropriate without
me mucking around every time I rip a cd.... Plus I'm not sure I could
make the distinction myself.

Maybe read the standard a bit closely.  If it wasn't clear, I'll try to
correct my omission.

You can have an artist tag in your ogg file, and it will still be
compliant.  Ogg players can display the artist tag if it exists, and
still be compliant.  The nuisance of using the artist tag will only come
when you *create* the ogg file.  This encourages use of the standard,
while not breaking backward compatibility for old oggs.  If you must
insert an artist tag when you create new ogg files, at least duplicate
the information in a performer or ensemble tag.

Anyone who is confused by the distinction between performer and ensemble
can just use performer.  ensemble shall remain for those of us who
feel more comfortable when we can make those distinctions.

Backward compatibility with mp3 and id3 is clearly stated to not be a
goal of the standard, but other than the artist tag I think it meets
your wish for something that uses "Artist/Title/Album/year/comment" tags.
Don't forget to substitute DATE for YEAR.

How hard would it be to make a simple shell script that would go through
and retag your whole collection?  I could do it in 3 minutes.

Jonathan