[vorbis] TAG-mess

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Sat Dec 8 12:12:42 PST 2001

Jonathan Walther wrote:
<snip>

This is pointless, and I'm running out of patience. I've had enough of
your rudeness since your very first reply and your personal attacks. You
don't discuss, you rather have "feelings" that I mean something
different than I say.

Your revolutionary thinking leads to nothing but chaos in this case.
Continuing OGG Vorbis' evolutionary philosophy is the way to go - the
tags are backwards compatible to established standards and it's better
than ID3v2, because (1) everybody may add custom tags to suit their
needs (e.g. make a music base work with a database) and (2) it's not a
hack but already considered during the design of the format.

> Don't underestimate people.  If you want your hands tied behind your
> back, go back to MP3.

I really wonder what makes you think that Vorbis compression has
anything to do with the tagging capabilities of the OGG framework.

Concerning the people, tell me, in what pink fairyland do you live?
Ignorance is the only thing one can count on, so deal with it the right
way. If you want to be 31337 and keep the masses off your back, go ahead
with your crusade against the tag heathens.

> Since the average user won't see or know about the tags (the information

Apparently, you haven't followed the list's topics during the last
months, so let me repeat this once more: The tags shall be read and
written by humans and there shalt be no need to parse to make them
useful. They must not have to be parsed to become useful. If a player
parses some tags, e.g. TITLE, in order to display them somewhere useful,
this is an acceptable gift - nothing more.