[vorbis] Re: Revised Proposal for Vorbis TAG Standard

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Fri Dec 7 20:48:13 PST 2001

On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 01:13:31AM +0200, Tuomo Latto <djv at mbnet.fi> wrote:
|  >DESCRIPTION
|  >       ADDENDUM tag is more precise.
|
| DESCRIPTION _is_ a bit vague, but ADDENDUM is a bit over the top.

Further, it seems meaningless. Addendum just means added. To what? This
isn't more precise, it's less precise. If the precision occurs in the
spec _describing_ ADDENDUM then we could as easily attach that spec
to DESCRIPTION.

I appreciate that the spec describes [whoops!] this, but if the tags
are meant to be nice and standalone then we could do better than ADDENDUM.

[ and to fan the flames, _surely_ we should say ADDENDA to match the MEDIA
  misusage ... ]

| What about COMMENT? Couldn't you just use it?
| (Actually, COMMENT is even more vague but the meaning of the word is also
| broader.)

And better (though frankly my personal preference would be DESCRIPTION...)

--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        cs at zip.com.au    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

Mac OS X. Because making Unix user-friendly is easier than debugging Windows.
- Mike Dawson, Macintosh Systems Administrator and Consultation.
  mdawson at mac.com http://herowars.onestop.net