[vorbis] OT: Re: (Classical) Request for Standardization of expanded TAGS

Nemo - earth native nemo at cheeky.house.cx
Fri Dec 7 18:22:54 PST 2001

On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 12:22:36PM +1100, Cameron Simpson did utter:

> If you're talking about the FreeDB/CDDB DISCID, that's: _not_ unique
> per disc (see how often one gets several fuzzy matches from FreeDB),
> and isn't computed the right way by all tools, and so the same disc
> can have multiple discids, and the same disc pressed (well, mastered)
> by different distributors can have differing track parameters and thus
> differing DISCIDs.

I wasn't going to comment on the DISCID's again, because it's already
been dropped (a good thing I now consider :)

but as a side-note, and possibly for interests sake...

I've recently been doing some stats on the freedb database... and
there is something like a 10% rate of discid's not being unique
in the database.

In terms of mastering creating different ID's? I have a sample of that
in my own collection. (my gf's Crowded House best-of gets a different
ID to my CD of the same. The difference? My pressed was released with
a second CD... the print on the CD differs slightly.

Conversely, two different releases of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the
Moon (the EMI release, and the EMI Twentieth Anniv release) have hte same
ID...

This type of duplication already.. .and yet my personal collection spans
only 200 cd's... the freedb database will hit half a million by years end at
the current rate of growth...

eep. I'm actually considering creating my *own* discid system for my
personal database/collection... but that's even MORE offtopic ;)

.../Nemo