[vorbis] Winamp plugin installation

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Fri Dec 7 18:13:45 PST 2001

> That was issue number one: any chance of getting the winamp plugins
> updated at their site?

I don't know what their problem is, but they can never keep any urls
straight.  Add to that the fact that about 5 different plugins exist,
and you have the recipe for a nice mess.  The winamp guys did develop a
plugin, but the easiest way to get it is not an winamp.com, but at
http://www.blorp.com/~peter/.

Here's a direct link (which has also been posted to this list many times
before and is the one given on the vorbis.com windows download page):
http://www.blorp.com/~peter/zips/in_vorbis.exe

> So, I said go get them straight from vorbis.com. He fussed so I sat down
> at his XP station (of which he's mighty proud of) and clicked the link for
> the Winamp plugin. Then we hit issue number two: the installation didn't
> update the mime tables or something so double clicking an ogg file would
> launch something.

Winamp doesn't eat up the file extensions just by installing the plugin.
YOu have to tell winamp to do that, just like you have to tell winamp to
do MP3 when you install it.

Just go into the File->Options->File Types, and highlight ogg.  That
should be all their is too it.  At this point there shouldn't be much
difference to your friend whether a file is ogg or mp3.  He will just
notice that music he gets from you will sound way better.

jack.