[vorbis] Revised Proposal for Vorbis TAG Standard

Jay MacDonald jaym at aztech-cs.com
Fri Dec 7 13:41:41 PST 2001

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Jonathan Walther wrote:

> Media is the Unix standard way of referring to disk storage.  Your
> "media" can be floppy, ide, scsi, cdrom.  Media can also be associated
> with some ethernet circuitry which has to do with the "transport" of
> data. Given the meaningfulness the Unix context has given it, I would
> vote for MEDIA over SOURCEMEDIA.  Plus MEDIA is much less typing.

8-) I'm a Unix diehard and understand what you're saying, but I don't see
how this pertains to the subject at hand. The ogg format applies to much
more than just the Unix world (obviously), and hence needs to be clear to
the "everyday Joe" out there. To most people "Media" is the television,
radio and newspaper industry. IMHO being more explicit is important in
this case.

As for the extra typing, I assume most applications will have this as a
form field, and if not I don't think typing 6 extra characters per track
will hurt anyone. If typing is an issue then shorten DISCNUMBER and
TRACKNUMBER to DISCNUM and TRACKNUM (or be really unixy and shorten to
DNUM and TNUM, just to really mess with them!) 8^).

Cheers!

Jay

Jay MacDonald                                         jaym at aztech-cs.com
Chief Technology Officer                        http://www.aztech-cs.com
Aztech Cyberspace, Inc                             775-332-3000 Ext. 227
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 40967 - Reno, NV - 89504
Physical Address: 675 Holcomb Ave - Reno, NV - 89502