[vorbis] The metadata problem

Segher Boessenkool segher at chello.nl
Fri Dec 7 12:30:40 PST 2001

Maybe this will help, maybe it's fuel on the fire.  Who knows.

of metadata;  they most of all differ in _what you use it for_.

It's just the same as if you're sitting in a bar and tell a friend
"hey, have you heard the new song XXX by YYY already?"  It's just some
textual comments about a track, nothing more, nothing less.  And most of
all, there are no requirements to it.  No mandatory tags, no nothing.

Of course, *some* consistency in this might be nice, just as in the bar
you say "the song XXX by the band YYY" and not "the cow XXX by the table YYY".

used for
display, and more importantly, for searching and sorting.  But this *really*
isn't our problem; it's the media players problem.  It itself should
store a
database that contains the "tags", "columns", whatever you want to call it
that it wants to use.

nature, this is hierarchical data.  This is the kind of data that is stored
in the internet music databases (although no one of them is anywhere near
thorough enough, at the moment).

A good way to *transport* this data within an Ogg stream would be an xml
metadata substream.

(2) and (1);
and if you've got (2), you can use it to fill out (1).  But it _will
not_ work
the other way around.

Segher