[vorbis] (Classical) Request for Standardization of expanded TAGS

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Thu Dec 6 17:15:29 PST 2001

Whew.  Good example.  I would say the second method is the appropriate
one.  I.e., mention Kate Pierson and Fred Schneider only once each.

You want Assistant Engineer, Hairdresser, and Photographer tags?  Well,
the purpose of the tags I proposed was to really nail down which exact
track you are listening to.  There is a point at which you don't need to
add any further info to uniquely identify a track.  Personally I just
wouldn't put such information in.  They aren't integral to the music.
However, if I had to put them in, maybe a STAFF tag would be
appropriate?  You would use it for additional staff who weren't
performers but were involved in the production some way.

STAFF=Cass Rigby (Assistant Engineer)
STAFF=George DuBose (Photographer)
STAFF=La Verne (Hairdresser)

Finally, if you must put in information about samples, that would use
the ADDENDUM tag.

The goal of this standard is to uniquely identify the track, not to tell
everything about it.  I'd recommend putting an URL in the ADDENDUM tag
that people could go to for "more information".  In fact, forget the
STAFF tag.  Put the track information on the web or in some public
database.

Now, why do I want to uniquely identify the track?  Because if I really
like the song, I want to go out and buy it!  Lets be honest people, many
of us will be listening to ogg's of music we didn't buy.  But most of us
do spend the money to buy music we like.  I certainly do.  Lets make it
easier to do the right thing.

Same thing for a LYRICS tag.  Put the song lyrics on the web, don't
stick them in the ogg file.

Jonathan