[vorbis] (Classical) Request for Standardization of expanded TAGS

John Morton jwm at plain.co.nz
Thu Dec 6 17:11:09 PST 2001

On Friday 07 December 2001 13:22, Nemo - earth native wrote:
> > CDDB index hashes are not unique - not really a problem if the album's
> > entry is in your local cache, but a hassle if you're looking it up in the
> > server. At the very least, you need to include the catagory the cd has
> > been placed in.

> Back on topic, what is the purpose of storing DISCID here?

I'm using it so I can correlate a CD to a track I've already encoded, so I
can reencode with a newer vorbis and migrate the metadata, all automatically.
I'm expecting the entry will be in my cache, but then, I'm using a string
representation of the array that DiscID.py produces :-)

> > > GENRE
> > > 	id3 type classification (classical, pop, jazz, blues, etc)
>
> Genres, as an idea, are great. I've not seen a satisfactory implementation
> yet.
>
> The problem as I see it is that people assume a track can only fit one
> genre.  Hence we have the situation where cddb/freedb has only 11 genres -
> and over half the total database are in two genres- rock and misc.

This is, indeed, silly.

> id3 genres have 80 or so genres?

255, some of which are oddly particular.

> The whole point of genres is, IMHO, to have a /small/ number of
> generalised styles for rough categorisation.

No one will agree on what they are and who should or shouldn't be in what.

> Might I recommend that the GENRE field be able to contain multiple
> entries (comme deliminated should be fine!)

vorbiscomment supports multiple instance of the same tag, so one word per tag,
and as many as you need. This spares implementations from having to have
detailed knowledge of the inards of a field.

[Ok, from now on I'm going to try to say 'tag' when I mean 'a bunch of
metadata attached to a music file' and 'field' when I mean 'artist', or
'title', or something.]

> ... and, while not *forcing*
> a limited range of genres (as cddb did), have a small but varied range
> of recommended genres to choose from (a couple of dozen at most would
> seem sufficient to cover everything)

Short cuts to common keywords in the tag editor would be useful, but,
ultimately, do a fuzzy text search when looking for matches.

John