[vorbis] (Classical) Request for Standardization of expanded TAGS

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Thu Dec 6 16:16:14 PST 2001

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 10:04:25PM -0000, James D. Forrester wrote:
>Michelle Branch - The Spirit Room - 01 - Everywhere
>Michelle Branch - Everywhere (acoustic promotional)
>Michelle Branch - Everywhere (live - Conan O'Brien, 14-08-01)
>Michelle Branch - Everywhere (live acoustic - Kelly Lounge, 06-07-01)
>Michelle Branch - Everywhere (live acoustic - MTV:TRL, 24-08-01)
>
>I personally would find this unwieldy if this meta-data was actually
>'encoded' in the title - semantically, it's not the title of the piece,

You make some good points.  The specific "versions" that I am familiar
with boil down to "mixes".  All other version information seems to
belong in other tags.  If I may show how I would mark up the examples
above, in your specific cases all information seems like it factors out
to the other proposed tags.  But there is the 12", CD Single, Radio, and
other mixes and edits of a piece.  For that, maybe a VERSION tag is
appropriate.

Here is how I would tag your oggs:

>Michelle Branch - The Spirit Room - 01 - Everywhere
PERFORMER=Michelle Branch
TITLE=Everywhere
TRACKNUMBER=1
ALBUM=The Spirit Room

>Michelle Branch - Everywhere (acoustic promotional)
PERFORMER=Michelle Branch
TITLE=Everywhere
VERSION=acoustic promotional

>Michelle Branch - Everywhere (live - Conan O'Brien, 14-08-01)
PERFORMER=Michelle Branch
TITLE=Everywhere
VERSION=live
DATE=August 14, 2001
LOCATION=Conan O'Brian show

>Michelle Branch - Everywhere (live acoustic - Kelly Lounge, 06-07-01)
PERFORMER=Michelle Branch
TITLE=Everywhere
VERSION=live acoustic
DATE=June 7, 2001
LOCATION=Kelly Lounge

>Michelle Branch - Everywhere (live acoustic - MTV:TRL, 24-08-01)
PERFORMER=Michelle Branch
TITLE=Everywhere
VERSION=live acoustic
DATE=August 24, 2001