[vorbis] embedded vorbis players

Nicola Larosa nico at tekNico.net
Thu Dec 20 12:46:33 PST 2001

 > Anyone know of any vorbis players more or less the size of an MP3 player -
 > something that will fit in a pocket? Or some projects to make one?

The only one I know is the Iomega HipZip, and then only with the 2.0 version
of the iObjects Dadio operating system, not yet officially available from
Iomega.

And then it's got a couple of problems: it uses 40 MByte cartridges, only
about half a hour of music each one, and a bit expensive too. But mostly, I
am a little wary of the Iomega brand, having had terrible experiences with
their hideous Ditto backup tapes, and the scarce reliability of Jaz disks.

Ah, the good old days of Syquest... (that got bought by whom? Iomega, sigh)

 > embedded processor. Any rough idea of what processor capabilities should
 > be needed for the number crunching (is an FPU necessary, 16/32 bit,
 > speed)? I realize the dev list might be a better forum for a question
 > like this.

That would be really nice, and yes, definitely try the dev list.

--
"Mozilla will be around long after nobody can remember
just quite what Internet Explorer actually used to be."

Nicola Larosa - nico at tekNico.net