[vorbis] embedded vorbis players

Antti Koskipää antti.koskipaa at nic.fi
Thu Dec 20 17:49:30 PST 2001

Matt Hodge wrote:

> Anyone know of any vorbis players more or less the size of an MP3 player -
> something that will fit in a pocket? Or some projects to make one?
>
> I'd be willing to work on putting one together and port vorbis to some
> embedded processor. Any rough idea of what processor capabilities should
> be needed for the number crunching (is an FPU necessary, 16/32 bit,
> speed)? I realize the dev list might be a better forum for a question
> like this.

yet. My project will be an ordinary pentium PC motherboard, housed in a
standard CD player-looking tabletop case. It will feature a CD-ROM
drive, a CS4231 CODEC in an ISA slot, a power supply (self-made),
128x64 graphic LCD, keypad and a rotary encoder for song/track
selection. The entire program will be run off a 256KB ROM in the BIOS
socket. A 0.5 second bootup time comes as standard. It will play CDDA,
Ogg and MP3. CPU will be a P100.

As for a pocket player, I believe some 50 MFLOPS would be enough,
32-bit precision. Maybe some DSP would fit nicely? A compactflash
card can provide storage. I would wait until the decoder is optimized
enough so that a less powerful CPU can be used.

--
- Antti

Keyboard, n.: A device used to enter errors into a computer.