[vorbis] 24/96 ?

Merijn Vogel merijnv at sci.kun.nl
Thu Dec 20 04:29:02 PST 2001

On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 06:45:00AM -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> Merijn Vogel (merijnv at sci.kun.nl) wrote:
>
> > [snip]
> > > In pop music, the worst problem now is the fad of compressing the
> > > dynamic range to death to make the average volume higher.
> >
> > Which has no point if the DJ is taking care. When playing cd's, a DJ
> [...]
>
> CDs?  DJ?  Perhaps the Netherlands still use these things.  Many US radio
> stations don't use them any more -- especially the CDs.  The "show" is
> produced at one location nationally, and then sent to regional broadcast
> towers.

That should be after someone in the studio did look on his/her dB-meter ?

> but it's probably lossy.  If they use music in the show, it's typically
> MPEG Layer II (.mp2) format from a computer, not from CDs.

Ah, that's another story indeed. A very small local radiostation had a
leased-line to the antenna. (they broadcasted mono FM at the time).

> And yes, they're compressing the waveforms to raise the average volume
> level.  It's extremely noticeable.

Ah. What exactly is waveform-compression ? Shrinking the difference between
louder and not-so-loud parts of the spectrum ?

> The larger US radio stations don't employ disc jockeys.  They employ
> people who talk on the air.  The radio programs are (more and more often)
> talk shows that have a bit of music every once in a while.  (In the case
> of Howard Stern or Rush Limbaugh, this is carried to the extreme.)

I think that's a world-wide thing going on. I hardly ever listen to
the radio, I rather buy cds and use my computer to play randomly :).
No-talk, no-nonsense.. Even the music-stations have phone-in games and
commercials all over.

Ow well, we may be running off-topic here :)

-- Merijn