[vorbis] 24/96 ?

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Thu Dec 20 03:48:01 PST 2001

fungus wrote:
> > This is why companies, who take themselves half serious,
> > use nothing more than "listen yourself" as a slogan.
> This is fair enough for amplifiers and speakers but
> *no* CD player is worth $7,000.

That depends. First of all, the audio source (here: CD player) is most
important. The crappier it is, the worse it will sound on *expensive*
hi-fi gear. The best hi-fi stuff on earth can't sound better than the
source. (The world's best codec can't sound better than the source.) If
you don't have the remaining $25k for a decent set of preamps, amp,
cables and speakers plus a room where to set up the whole thing, those
$7k are like money flushed down the toilet.

A bad CD player in a hi-fi environment is like listening to a 64kbps
MP3Pro, reencoded to OGG at 350kbps. The other way round would be
listening to a perfect CD rip, encoded with WMA (bitrate doesn't matter
;P). The latter is known to be stupid, but doing something like the
former seems to be a common mistake. I haven't count how many times we
had to discourage things like that on the list already, and people still
seem to do it.

I've got a Rotel amp, pricing $~500-600 and B&W DM604 speakers (very
british, cost about $1500). I don't have a decent CD player yet, but one
that'd fit would be a Rotel or Marantz player for roughly $600-700.
(Ongoing lack of cash :[)

Buying hi-fi is like buying furniture - you buy it more or less for a
lifetime and the components have to fit together, or it's worth nothing.
(money --> toilet) Don't buy gear you didn't listen to. If you can't
distinguish the sound of the $1k thing from the $10k thing, get the $1k
thing. (Most of us get to a point eventually where we have to admit that
we simply can't hear any better than that.)