[vorbis] 24/96 ?

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Wed Dec 19 18:02:11 PST 2001

fungus wrote:
> > Either this is because you're listening to badly mastered CDs or your
> > mind plays tricks on you ("this is CD, i CAN'T sound good). I don't
> > really believe that you could successfully ABX 24/96 vs. 16/44.1.
> Ummm....so why do they make CD players with oversampling,
> bitstream, etc.?

Who knows. I don't believe in fancy high-tech when it comes to good
sound. IMO, they make those players only because there's a market for
them. There are always people that can be tricked by "DSD decoder for
SACD" or "super legato linear technique". (rotfl :D)

> Even with 44.1kHz you can still get aliasing in the sampling and
> lose/create signals.
>
> Imagine I have a 22.5kHz sine wave and I sample it at 44.1kHz.

The 22.5kHz is a theoretical limit anyways. I wonder if there's any
human who can successfully ABX a piece of music that's brickwalled at
18kHz. Technical details have little in common with human perception,
and that's one of the reasons why lossy compression and psychoacoustic
models work.