[vorbis] (Classical) Request for Standardization of expanded TAGS

Craig Dickson crdic at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 13 13:14:26 PST 2001

Jon Shiring wrote:

> My apologies for pinning you with things you don't endorse, that was poor
> of me.  You make good points, but I think RELEASEDATE would logically be
> the date it was first released.  Or we could make some policy decision that
> if more than one album is listed, the RELEASEDATE and TRACK apply to the
> first album.  We can make a policy that allows for both.

Then you are assuming that the order in which tags are listed is
significant. I'm not sure that's in the standard, or that it should be.
It would surely be less confusing either to define relationships between
tags (which is, I understand, out of the question for Vorbis 1.0), or
use a different tag for "other albums containing this track" (ALBUM2,
OTHERALBUM, or some such). Defining it by policy is more or less the
same as saying, "Who cares if most users are confused", since most users
aren't going to be policy experts. In fact, I suspect most users won't
know anything beyond what is made self-evident by the GUI they use,
which will vary from one app to another.

> I'm in total agreement about the ENSEMBLE issue, and I don't see how
> renaming ARTIST to PERFORMER accomplishes anything, since end-users will
> still see whatever the winamp/xmms/etc GUIs label them as.  I fear that the
> lack of people willing to do the marathon yelling matches with Jonathan and
> deal with his abuse is causing him to think people agree with his proposal.

Yes, I noticed that, too.

I don't mind renaming ARTIST to PERFORMER because it is mildly less
ambiguous. Some people might think of the orchestra conductor or the
composer as the "artist", but they'll be less likely to think he's a
"performer". But it's not a big issue for me. As long as ENSEMBLE is
removed, I don't care whether the remaining field is called ARTIST or
PERFORMER.

Craig