[vorbis] (Classical) Request for Standardization of expanded TAGS

David Gasaway dave at gasaway.org
Thu Dec 13 10:39:44 PST 2001

Overall, I *love* this proposal.  However, there are a few issues I'd
like to discuss.

I feel the distinction between PERFORMER and ENSEMBLE is arbitrary and
unneeded.  If I want to find performances by Kronos Quartet, why
wouldn't I simply execute a search for "Kronos" in the PERFORMER field?
  I don't think queries are any more precise by including an ENSEMBLE
tag.  I also don't feel I'd have any trouble identifying the CD simply
because "Kronos Quartet" appeared in the PERFORMER field, instead of the
ENSEMBLE field.

In contrast, the CONDUCTOR field *is* important.  "Yehudi Menuhin" the
conductor is very different from "Yehudi Menuhin" the violinist.  How
often do you find a soloist and an ensemble that share the same name?
There probably are some odd, rare examples.  However, I'd wager that the
distinction between the two is unimportant, and (here's the kicker)
unnecessary for you to acheive your stated goals.

Classification by role has merits; classification by size does not
(IMHO).  The choice between PERFORMER and ENSEMBLE is arbitrary, and
does not add any worthwhile meaning to the data within.  I easily know
the difference between "London Symphony Orchestra" and "Cecilia Bartoli"
- I don't need a tag to tell me the difference.

And...Please use SOURCEMEDIUM in place of SOURCEMEDIA.  MEDIA looks
wrong, sounds wrong, and feels wrong.

Thanks.

--
-:-:- David K. Gasaway