[vorbis] (Classical) Request for Standardization of expanded TAGS

John Morton jwm at plain.co.nz
Wed Dec 12 15:23:04 PST 2001

On Wednesday 12 December 2001 23:20, Jonathan Walther wrote:
> Beni, thanks for your comments.  I believe they are addressed in the
> most recent revision of the proposal, here:
>
> http://209.53.17.13/~djw/ogg-tags.txt
>
> The proposal hasn't been updated for 4 days now; a good sign that it has
> settled into something pretty close to its final form, unless Monty
> speaks up and suprises us all.

The proposal is still trying to dictate policy that people don't like. I
don't like the idea that fields you consider 'depreciated' shouldn't be
displayed by players. Arbitarily renaming artist to performer seems to me to
be just splitting hairs.

I'm also not keen on _requiring_ certain fields to be singletons, either.
Most of the fields mentioned in that list are likely to only have one value
because it doesn't make much sense to enter more than one.

I think you'd have a lot more luck providing implementation advice rather
than dictating policy.

John