[vorbis] What can we expect from Vorbis 1.0 over RC2?

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Mon Dec 10 11:21:46 PST 2001

> It's been a while since RC2 was released and I have been waiting patiently
> for the next version. I was wondering what improvements have been made
> to the code for the next version. Can I expect more speed, better quality
> etc?

You can expect bounded bitrates.  That was one of the last big features
on the list.

You can expect many quality issues to have been addressed (ie, the
reencoding problem).

You probably won't get a noticeable increase in speed this time around.

> Also, is the CVS tree the development source, or is there a lot of
> interesting
> stuff on closed branches like it was for beta 4?

There have never been any closed branches of normal development.  Segher
been experimenting for some time, but it's not really suitable for CVS.
If you asked him maybe he'd share.  Monty usually syncs up every few
days.

Current CVS is not really in a usable state.  It's got lots of debugging
messages as well as limitations as monty works through the last issues
of RC3.

> I know I'm pestering, and I know how difficult it is to work on a free
> software
> project AND have a full time job. People have been pestering me for months
> to finish my stuff :)

We're semi-lucky in that respect.  I only work halftime, and monty
dedicates all his hours to the project.

We've started to accept donations as well to help keep us on this rapid
development track (paypal us at donate at xiph.org or email me for other
arrangements).

jack.