[vorbis] Re: PROPOSAL: Sub-Tagging

Segher Boessenkool segher at chello.nl
Sat Dec 8 17:56:14 PST 2001

Jonathan Walther wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 02:33:25AM +0100, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> >> absence of compulsion by external force
> >> isn't the same as refusal to even consider cooperating with others via
> >> societal norms and decorum.
> >
> >As hard as I try, I can't make sense of that last paragraph.  And I don't
> >want to talk politics with you, anyway;  certainly not here, as it would be
> >WAY offtopic.
>
> The standard proposes a sort of anarchy.

No, it proposes *freedom*.  Ouch, dangerous word, these days.  The
freedom to
tag a file in any way useful to yourself and/or others.

> I and others want to institute
> some social norms and decorum in the tagging of Ogg files.

No, you want other people to tag files in ways that would please *you*.

> You want
> every person to selfishly run around doing their own thing when it comes
> to tagging.

That's what the comment header is for, man.  But nothing selfish about it.
If you want order, use a database.  If you want to move data around in a
canonical format, use some xml metastream thingy.  If you want both,
make sure
all your friends are using the same stuff as you are.  But don't force
us all
to live like you.

What your proposal does, is taking freedom away, while giving nothing but
extra nuisance in return.  I don't want that.

> That is the only impression I can draw from your posts on
> this topic.  Instead of bitching about tags, when what you really want
> is metadata, why don't you investigate the Dublin Core project
> (dublincore.org) and get the ball rolling on that topic?

You are asking this to yourself, I hope.