[vorbis] PROPOSAL: Sub-Tagging

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Sat Dec 8 12:20:53 PST 2001

On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 01:20:07AM +0100, Trick wrote:
> I mentioned sub-tagging in an earlier post. Here's a more in-depth mail on
> what i thought of.

OK, time to wade in...

First off, all the proposals thus far are well meaning, but most of
them are missing the mark.

Aside from whether or not subtagging is a good idea or not (IMHBCO,
it's not a good idea), it cannot be implemented.  The format is frozen
at 1.0, and this cannot be done within the 1.0 spec.  Sorry folks,
we've been in format feature freeze since June, and this idea cannot
be implemented without breaking decoders that have already been
guaranteed to work forever.

Monty