[vorbis] TAG-mess

mike dillon mdillon at standmed.com
Sat Dec 8 08:47:07 PST 2001

begin Jonathan Walther quotation:
> If you can't read the whole thread because there are too many posts,
> what makes you think you have something unique and insightful to add
> to the discussion?  You don't even know what was said or what we are
> talking about.
>
> If you don't want to read the thread because its already too long,
> think how much harder you are making it for everyone else who is
> reading the thread when you add your own uninformed posts to it.

You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Even if you do have something worthwhile to say (and, before you rip
into me, i _have_ read the entire thread), nobody is going to pay
attention to you if you continue to be such a brusque, dismissive
asshole. If they do pay attention to you, the likely result will be
their impractical and unreasoned opposition to anything your propose,
without regard to the actual merit of what you're saying.

Don't you get it that nobody else is supporting the conclusion that
you're the only one with a clue here? Statements like "[y]ou don't even
know what was said or what we are talking about" are ridiculously
presumptuous when the person talking was obviously saying something
apropos of the "discussion" (if you can even call your unilateral,
closed-minded ranting a discussion).

In the future, please think before you speak. And i don't mean thinking
about your own self-concerned deal that you've apparently already spent
too much time thinking on; i'm talking about thinking about the needs
of the "Ogg community", i.e. users other than yourself, and about the
social dynamics of the conversations you're ruining.

-md