[vorbis] Revised Proposal for Vorbis TAG Standard

Craig Dickson crdic at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 7 15:21:41 PST 2001

Jonathan Walther wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 02:56:33PM -0800, Aaron Plattner wrote:
> >Doesn't music normaly come from a MEDIUM, and not from (multiple) MEDIA?
> >Just a
> >picky point.
>
> You are correct.  That is true of Latin.  Unix usage however allows
> media to designate a singular medium.  Unix wins over Latin I think.

If Vorbis is successful on a large scale, then most of its users will not
be Unix-literate, so I think using Unix conventions is not appropriate.

In this case, however, I think "medium" will confuse people in a
different way. Lots of people don't know that "media" is the plural of
"medium", and if you have a tag called MEDIUM, they won't know what it's
for. Medium as opposed to large or small? Rare or well-done? So I'd say
sacrifice linguistic accuracy for ease of understanding. This is the
same reason, by the way, that you often see inflammable objects labeled
with the non-word "flammable"; ignorant people think "inflammable" means
"not flammable". (Of course, this usage of the non-word only encourages
people to keep thinking that.)

> >I also support the use of MEDIA / MEDIUM instead of SOURCEMEDIA because the
> >meaning of the word media here is clearly defined.
>
> So that is current 2 votes for SOURCEMEDIA, 2 votes for MEDIA.

I like SOURCEMEDIA too, even though there's no need to distinguish it
from a DESTINATIONMEDIA. I have this amusing vision of some luser
entering MEDIA=Vorbis in all his files, whereas SOURCEMEDIA may get the
intention across a little more clearly...

Craig