[vorbis] album portion of the tags request

Jon Shiring slothy at slothy.com
Fri Dec 7 02:18:03 PST 2001

I wanted to post publicly my problem with Jonathan's proposed album
requirements.  Although I do apologize, since this thread is too big already.

The idea that as a requirement one should be able to identify the exact CD
a track was ripped from is not a valid requirement in my book (not for the
tags at least), and I hope I can explain why.  Without knowing the exact
way Jonathan wishes to accomplish this, I must resort to what I hope is
fair conjecture.

One way to do it would be to limit the ALBUM tag so that there is only one
entry listed will eliminate the ability to list all the albums that a track
has appeared on.  Knowing that a track was on 4 albums is far more
important to me than knowing only that user X ripped it from some
particular album.  An alternative is to add yet another new tag to say
which album the track was taken from, but I don't think the solution is
even more tags (although I admit that is the extent of my disagreement with
this solution).

Another alternative then is to use some CDDB or Songprint/Musicbrainz entry
to identify the song.  I object to CDDB being in the tags because a CDDB
entry is a computer-id and not a human id.  That's what we will have the
structured metadata (which has yet to be designed) for - computer data,
non-human type data (among other things) that is to be used and not
displayed verbatim.  Don't push metadata into the tags just because the
metadata hasn't been designed yet, use it as the excuse to design the
metadata.  We've suffered from bad designs to ease simplicity with other
formats, let's not repeat the mistake.

Addendum: Anyone who proposes caching a Songprint, Musicbrainz, or other
audio fingerprint in the file obviously doesn't understand the goals of an
audio fingerprint: to properly identify a song without having to refer to
tags.  To cache a fingerprint accomplishes the same thing as storing the
title, artist, etc. in the file.  The data is no more reliable.

So as not to be criticized as being purely dismissive, my proposal is to
earmark "identifying the CD it came from" as a feature to consider when
planning the structured metadata.

Jon