[vorbis] (Classical) Request for Standardization of expanded TAGS

John Morton jwm at plain.co.nz
Thu Dec 6 17:28:14 PST 2001

On Friday 07 December 2001 13:32, Jonathan Walther wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 04:05:18PM -0800, Karel P Kerezman wrote:
> >Having said that, my biggest worries with adding new tags at the
> >nearly-1.0 stage are compatibility with existing player code and
> >existing files
>
> Better to do this now, than after 1.0 when the huge landrush comes in.
> Its not that hard to retag existing oggs.

Just keep in mind that I don't want to have to retag artist to ensemble if
I'm happy with the way things are.

> >and how such a project as "tagspace enhancement" might
> >distract the developers at a key point in the development cycle. Or, put
> >another way, even if the developers want to do this, can they spare the
> >time right now to do it right?
>
> Once we get enough concensus, I will submit patches to ogg123,

As long as the display logic does something like this:

 if userDefinedDisplay:
    useUserDefinedDisplayLogic()
 else:
   if exists ARTIST:
      display ARTIST
   else:
      buildAritstFromComponents()

    if exists TITLE:

I'm happy to let you do what you need, if you don't mess with what I'm
already happy with.

John