[vorbis] Byte-width of a bitstream, cabbages, and other things

Jon Brightwell jon.brightwell at atd.co.uk
Wed Aug 29 06:34:54 PDT 2001

> Encoding is a similar situation - you need to convert to floating point
> before passing the data into the encoder. oggenc, for example, supports 8
> and 16 bit input (as well as direct floating-point pcm input, though I
> think that's buggy on big-endian platforms). Again, if anyone actually
> wanted 24 bit input, it'd take about 5 minutes to add.

May I recommend adding it then? All the nextgen sound cards that are
coming out all support 24bit playback.

http://www.soundblaster.com/audigy/
http://www.nvidia.com
(who else is doing new sound(cards)?)

I definitely wouldn't say no to 24bit playback. You could even use it
for professional recording then...

regards,
Jon