[vorbis] Compiler Cert Suggestions

Jeremy Katz katzj at linuxpower.org
Tue Aug 28 19:30:08 PDT 2001

On Tuesday, August 28 2001, Ryan Mack said:
> Somewhere on the download page you should make *very* clear that audio
> encoders in general are *very* compiler dependent.  To that end, when you
> approach 1.0 release, you should enumerate known working and broken
> compilers (including which optimization flags are recommended for each).

At the same time, regarding a compiler as broken just because you
haven't tried it isn't fair either.   I think that saying things which
are known to cause miscompilation is fine, and even some "known good"
mentions are fine, but it needs to be carefully worded as unknown is not
automatically bad :)

> These checks should probably also be included in the .spec file to prevent
> people from rpm --rebuilding without checking if they have a broken
> compiler.

Something that you touch on further down which would be even better than
checks like this is a set of test cases which can be run with a simple
make check or make test.  Unfortunately, this is a bit difficult to do
with audio codecs.

[snip]
> A few distributions (RH 7.1 included) are a release or two behind, leaving
> most users to download the new releases from your site.

It's kind of hard to have versions of a program which were released
after the distribution's release unless errata/updates are issued for
everything, but then you never get around to having time to make
releases ;)

My $0.02 (for what they're worth)

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Katz
katzj at linuxpower.org	| jlkatz at eos.ncsu.edu
http://linuxpower.org	| Developer, NCSU Realm Kit for Red Hat Linux
GPG fingerprint: 367E 8B6B 5E57 2BDB 972A 4D73 C83C B4E8 89FE 392D