[vorbis] bitrate peeling question

Peter Harris peter.harris at hummingbird.com
Tue Aug 28 18:52:38 PDT 2001

> hi all,
>
> i have two questions about bitrate peeling that i hope someone
> on this list can answer:
>
> 1) my understanding is that BP allows you to derive a lower-
> bitrate version of an encoded file (say 128kbps) directly from
> a higher-bitrate version (say 192kbps), without having to re-rip
> from a CD or generate an intermediate WAV file.
>
> this is potentially a huge win for those who want to archive all
> their CDs into high-quality Oggs, and to then use files from that
> same archive on their Ogg-capable portable players (don't i wish)
> when going to exercise, etc. is my understanding of how BP is
> supposed to work correct, or am i missing something?

This is exactly how bitrate peeling is supposed to work.

> 2) is BP currently implemented? if so, how do i use it? if not,
> any idea as to when it will be working?

No, BP isn't implemented yet. The files that the current encoder generates
are fully peelable, but the peeling utility hasn't been written yet. There
is no specific deadline for when it will be written; only 'after 1.0 is
released'. (Of course, ogg vorbis is all open-source, so if you were feeling
impatient, you could write your own bitrate peeler. <grin> )

> thanks.

You're welcome.

Peter Harris