[vorbis] RC2 vs. beta4 (test)

Gregory Maxwell greg at linuxpower.cx
Thu Aug 23 13:00:02 PDT 2001

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 01:53:08PM -0600, Jack Moffitt wrote:
> > Additionally, it has been stated many times that you
> > _should_ _never_ _transcode_ _any_ _lossy_ _codec_.
>
> No, but I still think it's very useful to know what the failure cases
> look like.
>
> Does vorbis converge in quality, or does it keep getting worse, etc?

Back in the B2 days I tested this, when using the same encoder over and over
again, the quality converged fairly well on both a SNR and perceptual level.

I would imagine that if there was any modification of the file or encoder
between codings, the result would be much less positive.

(generally, anything that changes the blocking/window positions will tend to
make the results not converge.