[vorbis] Vorbis ACM codec

Gian-Carlo Pascutto gcp at sjeng.org
Fri Aug 17 05:46:46 PDT 2001

On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, smoerk at gmx.de wrote:

> what the hell are you talking about. from projectmayo.com:

[snip]

> projectmayo is opendivx...

If you had bothered to investigate a bit further, you would
have seen that they recently released a proprietary and
commercial DivX 4 codec, based on the code from OpenDivX
but with several closed additions.

OpenDivX is looking pretty badly with this development.
Its quality is severely less than the proprietary DivX 4,
its simply unfinished, without leadership or organistaion,
and not very usable.

They basically gave the impression that they were
developing an open codec but actually were working on
a proprietary one while releasing a much more inferior
product for free and encouraging outside developers
to work on that (and contribute ideas to their proprietary
codec of course)

They could do this because they enrolled the key developers
in their proprietary secret project and hence are supposed
to own the copyright.

They portrayed as being open, and got a lot of feedback,
interest, ideas and publicity from that. Then they just
screwed everybody all over. Whats left is a whole lot
of excuses.

This is very regrettable, but I have seen similar things
happen before. This is offtopic here so I'll not disgress,
but let me say that the online chess server of the United
States Chess Federation is based on a blatant GPL violation.

--
GCP