[vorbis] Testing Ogg Vorbis with modules.

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Thu Aug 16 08:13:29 PDT 2001

Reuben Martin wrote:
> If the Techno Scene is ever to become interested in Ogg, the mods need to
> support Ogg samples. I would suggest trying to get people developing
> trackers such as the popular ModTracker to build in Ogg support.

Mhuah! :D First, Technoscene != Tracker-/Demoscene. :) Second thing is,
the musicians work with those trackers they like best. Being good with a
tracker is similar to being good with 3DS MAX ... you learn many years,
and switching is hard. That's why the big two, Fast Tracker II and
Impulse Tracker are still the most widely used trackers. Then, you
wouldn't want samples with any lossy compression within your modules,
unless it's the music for a demo that has to be squeezed into 64kb.
(Actually, MP3-like compression was just the first step. Tiny softsynths
or rendering the samples on load is the way to have music within 64kb
intros these days.) Impulse Tracker has its built-in and lossless sample
compression that makes the .ITs ~50%-70% of their uncompressed size
which is damn good. RAR's multimedia compression algorithms can't really
compete with that (for they're not specialized to samples only, I
guess).

Some trackers (here: musicians) are switching to different software like
the tracker/softsynth-hybrid Buzz or Reason or wtf knows what else. For
them, MP3 is usually the way to release their music, but OGG is slowly
getting there, too.

Moritz