[vorbis] packetizing an ogg stream

rillian rillian at telus.net
Thu Aug 16 07:56:03 PDT 2001

On Wednesday, August 15, 2001, at 04:31 , Jeroen Vreeken wrote:

> I am looking for some pointers on how to packetize an ogg stream.
> My idea is to use udp packets for transport, so I would need a way that
> would minimalize the impact of lost packets.

There's an rtp payload draft format at
http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/doc/draft-moffitt-vorbis-rtp-00.txt (and
it's expired :) Comments welcome.

The unresolved issue is how to send the three header packets (including
the codebooks) which must be made available immediately to new connects
and transmitted losslessly. There's also been some discussion regarding
the codebook header being prohibitively large in applications with many
short segments (like commercial radio advertising) or contrariwise, how
to change metadata independently of the codebooks, if that issue is
handled by compression as a continuous stream.

> Are there any code examples out there for this?

Not that I'm aware of. Two programs that would be good places to start
are icecast2 (which does http vorbis streaming) and Apple's Darwin
Streaming Server (which does quicktime over rtp).

  -r

p.s. vorbis-dev is the more appropriate list for this question. I've
cc'd.