[vorbis] yet another stereo related question

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Tue Aug 14 04:34:29 PDT 2001

At 01:20 PM 8/14/01 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi!
>

>>From http://www.vorbis.com/stereo.psp : "Oggenc's default choice varies
>by bitrate and each mode is selectable by the user"
>
>So, how am I supposed to do that? E.g. what do I have to do when I want
>an 128kbps .OGG using lossless stereo, or does this "selectable by the
>user" mean only that I can choose the stereo mode indirectly by choosing
>an appropriate bitrate?

Yes, you can only choose stereo mode indirectly right now. Being able to
override the selection is definately a feature which will be added, but
there were limits to how many modes could be ready by rc2, what with
deadlines, etc.

At the moment, vorbis uses coupled modes (of some sort. Lossless coupling
in the high-bitrate modes. I think the specifics of what coupling is used
at what bitrate is listed somewhere) for 2 channel files, and uncoupled
modes for 1 channel, or for 3 or more channels.

Expect the ability to select your stereo mode 'soon'.

>Then, Monty mentioned a seperate tool that would allow to add the
>lossless stereo mode to existing .OGGs without having to reencode. Does
>this tool exist already (somewhere in CVS maybe)?

Not yet. The only new tools in rc2 are vcut and ogginfo. (other tools
underwent major rewrites, though ;-)

Michael