[vorbis] Vorbis ACM codec

Hongli Lai hongli at telekabel.nl
Mon Aug 20 13:32:24 PDT 2001

On 2001.08.20 20:46:45 +0200 Dan Hollis wrote:
> "DivX" isnt any standard at all (neither is windoze mpeg4) because the
> mpeg4 video codec hasn't been finalized yet. What m$ is using is some
> mangled version.
>
> It's a bad idea because its proprietary. Also there are patents which
> will
> certainly get the mpeg-forum to attack your house with armed assault
> troops.

Unfortunately many people don't care about standards.
(some of my friends even refuse to fix their HTML to make it work
for Netscape or even Mozilla, which leads to tons of broken crap
HTML these days... *ouche* www.homestead.com *ouche*)
They just want to be able to download movies for free and do illegal
things... (looks like owning a warez site is considered "cool" these
days...)

But when you use Ogg/DivX, who would be affected by the patent problems?
I don't see the real problem of using a proprietary codec with a free
file format (although a free codec is certainly much and much better).
As far as I know, AVI isn't patented either, or at least nobody is affected
by it's patents.