[vorbis] Forwarded bounce about advocacy/ Diamond Rio

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Sat Aug 18 23:34:58 PDT 2001

This was originally bounced due to being sent in HTML format.  It's
full of useful information, so I'll forward it myself :-)

----- Forwarded message from owner-vorbis at xiph.org -----

From: Henry Rearden <hjr at rand.com>
To: vorbis at xiph.org
Subject: Rio Volt, RCA Lyra, and other players

I've posted this here before, but the topic has come up again
so I'll summarize my old posts.

I contacted DiamondMM/SonicBlue several times about getting Ogg
support into the Rio500 (which is firmware upgradeable and features the
words "supports future music formats" prominently on all the literature).
Their response was pretty consistent: we don't support it because it's not
a widespread, "industry standard" (their words) format. I did get the
distinct
impression that if there was ever going to be Ogg support in the 500 or any
of the newer players (which are all firmware upgradeable as far as I know),
_it would require lots of people to contact them and request it_. The
contact
information I have is:

SonicBlue
  product/technical support: (541) 967-2450
  pre-sales/customer support: (800) 468-5846
  main Rio web page: http://www.riohome.com/
  Rio contacts page: http://www.riohome.com/presscontacts.htm
  PR Manager, Rio USA: Paul Crossley, pcross at sonicblue.com

 From a June 2001 post to this list, it may be worth pursuing the same
strategy
with Creative Labs, makers of the Nomad line of portable players. The
suggestion
there was to write a paper letter (not email) to:

Kevin Young
Product Marketing Manager
Creative Labs, Inc.
1901 McCarthy Blvd.
Milpitas, CA 95035

Finally, given that Thomson owns RCA and also administers MP3 licenses on
behalf of Fraunhofer IIS, I'll bet the conversation anyone has with them
regarding
Ogg support may be, uh, interesting. But it's still worth a try.

Bottom line: if we want solid Ogg/Vorbis support on portable hardware, we're
going to have to ask for it (nicely, but persistently).

-HJR