[vorbis] Serious GCC/EGCS 2.91 bug found (bites rc2)

Dr.Joerg Bergmann bergmann at rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de
Thu Aug 16 22:41:09 PDT 2001

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Monty wrote:

> > Then I kindly suggest perhaps the problem i
> > The atanh function seems to be buggy. It gives correct results in
> > a stand-alone environment. But it behaves in some kind illegal,
> > it corruptes the whole program. By masking atanh by
> > #undef atanh
>
> !!! This function is not implemented by GCC!  It is handled by GNU
> libc, and *that* has had numerous and recent bug reports filed against
> its math behavior.  When making such a strong claim, please take the
> minimum effort to identify the real problem!  Even now, we can't tell
> if the real problem is GNU libc, but I can say for certain it's not
> GCC.

OK, my words were incorrect. The compiler is OK, but the libc is
buggy. But: A compiler without library is nonsens, at least for
all non-system (non-kernel) development. E.g. the JAVA distributions
must contain a huge set of libraries, otherwise no one would call them
as "compiler+runtime".

I'm not so familiar with the Linux world, I'm very familiar with
JAVA and commercial C compilers like the Watcom. Therefore, in my
opinion the libraries are part of the compiler distribution (as it is
e.g. for the Watcom C compiler).

J"org Bergmann, Dresden, Germany
email at jbergmann.de