[vorbis] Vorbis ACM codec

smoerk at gmx.de smoerk at gmx.de
Fri Aug 17 05:56:54 PDT 2001

On Fri, 17 Aug 2001 13:54:46 +0200, Hongli Lai wrote:

>That's what they WANT you to believe.
>Check the CVS, check the forums, check the mailing list, check
>the file releases.
>Check the latest DivX4Linux release: no source code, because it's
>proprietary.
>OpenDivX is not being developed anymore, although they say so
>because of marketing.
>All that's left is their proprietary DivX 4.

I read the forum and you are right, it's very unlikely, that they do
major development with opendivx. divx4 is closed source, but it seems a
good codec and it's still free. there is a new fork of opendivx at
http://www.videocoding.de, because of this, but i have the impression,
that opendivx have to go a long way to be really useful.

o maybe the best solution is to wait for ogg/tarkin. now i'm conviced
that ogg/divx is a bad idea (tm).