[vorbis] WSJ article

jaromil jaromil at dyne.org
Wed Aug 15 14:12:02 PDT 2001

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 01:28:27PM -0700, Craig Dickson wrote:
> Benjamin Flanders wrote:
>
> > Way to go???
> > I would say "What the hell are you thinking?".  Love
> > and family are the meaning of life, not a better
> > sounding audio file.
>
> I was congratulating him on getting profiled in a major mainstream media
> organ, not on losing his marriage (duh). I've been through a divorce
> too, and even though it was by my own choice, it was hell. I'm sure
> being on the receiving end of a divorce is even worse. He has my
> sympathy for that.
>
> In any case, whether love and family are the meaning or core of life is
> a personal decision. Some people have work to do that is more important
> to them than that, and I would not be so arrogant as to tell them
> they're wrong, even though my wife and daughters are more important to
> me than my job. Besides, Monty's young; he's got lots of time to finish
> up Vorbis, make it a big success, and then, if he likes, go for the
> wife/kids/suburban home/minivan/little league on Saturday thing.

holyshit, are programmers going to be on gossip newspapers soon?

that article upsets me, i appreciate much the work done by vorbis developers,
and in primis Monty's and Jack's work. alltough i don't want and don't really
need to know anything about their personal life, this should really stay in
the privacy domain - for obvious reasons mostly related to mutual respect.

i find this discussion trivial and give all my solidarity to Monty in case he
did'nt meant to release such details (true or not) about his personal life and
now such an article feels invadent as it looks like. as a software developer i
also take such an article as a threat and a dangerous precedent: yet another
time in a new context the media establishment conditions somebody's image
spreading gossip about his private life instead of documenting what he is
doing. luckily enough in this case we're not handling with a desaster, but the
next time could be worse.

this is a matter of journalist deontology, also i think that if journalists
would be technically prepared when writing about software, they would not need
to fill an article with gossip about programmers private life <g>.

--
jrml ..//korova.dyne.org
6EEE 4FB2 2555 7ACD 8496  AB99 E2A2 93B4 6C62 4800