[vorbis] Vorbis decoders and equalizer

Gian-Carlo Pascutto gcp at sjeng.org
Sun Aug 12 23:12:06 PDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Getchoo!" <getchoo52 at hotmail.com>
To: <vorbis at xiph.org>
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2001 5:51 AM
Subject: [vorbis] Vorbis decoders and equalizer

> When I activate the equalizer in WinAmp, QCD, and Sonic Foundry SIREN
> Jukebox, I get a funny  "washed out" sound to it.  Vorbis sounds fine
> without it, but I miss the extra bass and what-not.  I was wondering why
> this happens?

a) WinAMP's equalizer kills everything over 16kHz, be carefull
when using it

b) There was some talk about this on IRC. For mp3's one can make a
quick-n-dirty equalizer which works within the decoding engine
itself, but for Vorbis the right way to do it is on the decoded
sound data (which will also work for mp3 or anything else even).
I suspect the programs you mentioned have those 'mp3-only'
equalizers.

c) It is better to equalize before encoding (with any codec).
Doing so will prevent breaking the psychoacoustics' assumptions,
and frees up CPU during decoding later.

--
GCP