[vorbis] AC-3 Decoding

Jared jared at celab21.students.csee.uq.edu.au
Wed Aug 8 04:43:39 PDT 2001

On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, David Balazic wrote:

> Jared (jared at celab21.students.csee.uq.edu.au) wrote :
>
> > Saw an article today on /. which reports that Dolby are insisting the
> > NETBSD dudes remove the ac3dec package from their site. Someone suggested
> > that we need an open source solution.
>
> ac3dec is already open ( GPL ).

        Yeah it is, but the AC3 codec itself isn't, that is patented by
Dolby, who are asking for ac3dec to be either removed, or a license fee
payed for.

> > Could Vorbis in the Ogg framework be this solution, can we create a pretty
> > simple 5.1 stream?
>
> I _believe_ ogg/vorbis can support multichannel sound.
> It also supports real spatial (3D, AC3 is only 2D) sound.
>
> None of this is actually available right now , AFAIK.

        I'm not quite sure what you mean by real spatial? I was always
under the impression that AC3 was spatial due to its 5 channel nature,
which allows for positioning of a signal almost anywhere inside the sound
field.

Regards,