[vorbis] Why 64kbps is important

Michael Paine mpaine at htxml.com
Tue Aug 7 15:59:11 PDT 2001

> On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 10:22:33PM -0700, Michael Paine wrote:
> > Did you know:
> > Everyone needs to remember the purpose to 64kbps audio -- VoIP.
> >
> > The current standard for G.711 is 64kbps, and once Docsys 1.1 become
reality
> > this time next year, the VoIP industry will start looking for the next
> > generation audio codec for the cable softphone industry.
> >
> > This is why MP3Pro and WMA are fighting it out for the 64kbps industry.
Did
> > anyone on this newsgroup know that?
>
> I find this very hard to believe: Both MP3Pro and WMA (and Vorbis too)
have

Using superscaler techniques, I know someone who can decode MP3 @ 300x on a
PIII 500mhz and encode @ 40x [ I just wish he would release his code :( ]

> Furthermore, the only reason to use anything other then G.711 (ulawed PCM
> audio) at 64kbps would be to offer greater quality then normally offered
by
> telephones, which really doesn't make much sense when you consider people
> are satisfied with the current quality, and if the call passes through any
> standard telephone equipment, the added quality will be removed.

But people aren't satisfied with their quality (especially with speakphones
or conference calls).  IF they could hear stereo 44khz instead, they would
never want to go back!  I agree with you on the fallback audio issue, but do
you disagree that cable softphones aren't just around the corner?  Would you
agree that 2.5G+ cell phones aren't going to look into supporting > uLaw
audio in a year or two (some cell phones already support MP3 codecs,
although seperated)?  Would you agree that there is a trend of PDAs to merge
with cellphones, giving > uLaw possibilities (especially with ARM chips),
while supporting "cleaning" code (such as Clarity and Wavemakers).

Time will tell, but since I'm in a position to add Vorbis to major telecom
equipment, I'm going to say "wanna bet?"