[vorbis] Transcoding listening test

Craig Dickson crdic at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 6 16:26:40 PDT 2001

Trick wrote:

> On Monday  6. August 2001 23:26, you wrote:
> > begin Trick quotation:
> > > One word: shred
> > >
> > > Beats rm =)
> >
> > only if "encoding time" isn't an issue.
>
> Agreed, but i myself put sound quality above encoding time, and at this
> shred (specially 'shred -z') is superior =)

Is it really? I just tried playing my whole mp3 collection through shred
-z, and it seemed kind of strange. Every file, from Bach to Stravinsky
to Charlie Parker to Led Zeppelin, seemed to have been converted into a
unique performance of John Cage's "4:33". It somehow seemed to increase
the size of my hard disk, too, as I have much more free space now than I
did before. Is this a known feature of shred, and if so, why don't other
players do the same thing?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Craig