[vorbis] Split Ogg Files

dragonsfire at lineone.net dragonsfire at lineone.net
Mon Aug 6 16:25:37 PDT 2001

On 07 Aug 2001 08:29:32 +1000, Michael Smith wrote:
> At 11:37 AM 8/6/01 -0400, you wrote:
> >I'm sure there are a lot of people who've run into this problem with regard
> >to ogg files... that is, when recording from live sources you end up with
> >beautiful, wonderful sounding, brilliant ogg files that might be around 100
> >Meg for two hours.
> >
> >Now, if I want to split it into tracks, or remove commercials, what are my
> >options.  With mp3, there are little programs in windows that allow me to
> >split by time and that are non destructive to the orginal file, that is,
> >don't reencode but just split the existing file.
>
> vcut (in vorbis-tools. You'll want the cvs version) does precisely this. It
> allows you to losslessly split a vorbis file into two with sample precision.
>
> Michael

Is there a tool for the opposite?, joining multiple Ogg files.

I recently encoded a CD that had more than one song per track (Babylon5-
Sleeping in Light). I used Cooledit to cut a track into separate WAV's,
encoded each one separatly and then simply joined the compressed files
together. The result was an Ogg file that played perfect in Winamp, and
also had the proper song title displayed depending on which part of the
track was playing. It's impressive that a file format can work like
this.

But this is probably the wrong way of doing it, and I have just made a
'bad' Ogg file and the decoder is working around any problems in the
file.

-Phil