[vorbis] RE: Audio broadcasting... (fwd)

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Thu Aug 2 04:54:37 PDT 2001

On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Dan Hollis wrote:

> Have you tried live streaming?

A little.  I was using a 33.6 modem until a couple of days ago, and only
did enough testing at 11khz mono (20kbps or so) to prove that it worked.
but it did work.  I used ostream for windows
(http://www.radiostudio.org/ostream/) version 0.7.0.  due to LAN issues and
some other stuff going on here, I've not tried it on my new cable
connection, though I do plan to someday soon.

> "Our bandwidth is currently between 60 to 200 listeners (at an 8KB connection
>  = 480 - 1600 KB?) Obviously we want to get more listeners..."
>
> Oh yes, they're in the USA.

Well this server is in Canada so that should be OK.  hmmm. 200 listeners at
20kbps ... 4mbps.  Wish we could go lower with the bitrate, but that will
require rc1.  4mbps isn't out of the question though.  Is this a regular
show that exists already?  If so, when is it on?

Geoff.