[vorbis] Windows XP and MP3

Gregory Maxwell greg at linuxpower.cx
Sat Apr 28 13:23:44 PDT 2001

On Sat, Apr 28, 2001 at 12:16:23PM -0700, Henry Rearden wrote:
[snip]
> Yesterday I called the SonicBlue (they're the company who own
> DiamondMM and therefore Rio) pre-sales/customer support line.
> I told them that I'd noticed the ads for every single one of their
> current players (Rio 500, 600, 800, and Volt; Nike psa[play 120
> and 60) include "upgradeable for future audio formats" in their
> list of features, and asked which of the players currently support
> Vorbis, or are scheduled to support it in the future.
>
> The reply was that they will only consider supporting "industry
> standard formats" (their words exactly), and that Vorbis did not,
> in their opinion, fit that description. Surprised, I asked if anyone
> else had ever asked about this codec. The woman said that I was
> the first.
>
> (And it turns out that she is the person who handles all such
> requests, and is responsible for forwarding emails about formats
> to the engineering teams -- so she isn't just some newly-hired
> PR flack.)
[snip]

Well, I've called Diamond twice and spoken to a bunch of people.  The last
call was just before the release of Beta4, and they told me they were
working on it.

I think I've got notes from my calls at work someplace, I'll try to find
them.

"industry standard" hmph. And I suppose WMF is?  Once others in the portable
player arena are shipping Vorbis support in production code (nudge
IObjects), I think the situation will improve dramatically. :)