[vorbis] Winamp plugin not recognized at all

Beni Cherniavsky scben at techst02.technion.ac.il
Fri Apr 27 03:01:07 PDT 2001

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Jack Moffitt wrote:

> > I don't think I have.  Will try it... hope this time it is the real
> > solution ;-)
>
> I'm fairly sure this is a bug.  I built the beta4 plugins on Win2000,
> and the rest on Win98.  My hunch is there's a compatibility flag I
> missed somewhere.
>
> A few people have reported this problem, all on Win95 Rev B or earlier.
> At least one person confirmed upgrading a few things (windows updates i
> assume) fixed the problem.

Updating to Winsock 2 fixed it for me too (happy at last ;-), the other
report I saw on this lit also said that a winsock upgrade did the job -
the other upgrades might be good for windows but not related to this
bug(?).

Also, installing winsock2 fixed the "Error initializing windows sockets"
message box I was getting (I complained about it once).  Now it doesn't
have to be fixed because on network-unaware computers like mine that could
get this error, the plugin will not run at all :-).

> I'll be investigating this heavily soon.

For now it might be good to place a notice/link on the site that the
winsock2 update is required for the winamp plugin:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/WUAdminTools/S_WUNetworkingTools/W95Sockets2/Default.asp

--
Beni Cherniavsky <cben at crosswinds.net>
                 (also scben at t2,cben at tx in Technion)

10001110111100111100001001010 m/s