[vorbis] questions about artifacts in low bitrate streams

rillian at telus.net rillian at telus.net
Mon Apr 23 15:40:20 PDT 2001

On Monday, April 23, 2001, at 04:24 , Peter Schüller wrote:

> How do you do that anyway? If I specify even "32" to oggenc, the average
> bitrate still ends up at 80 or something.

the bitrate setting isn't really a target bitrate, it just selects an
appropriate set of codebooks which should more or less match the
requested size for 44.1 kHz stereo input. Since we don't yet have
codebooks for any other sample rates, it just picks the lowest 44.1 mode
available.

Oggenc at least respects the input sample rate, however, so to do low
bitrate compression, downsample your source with another utility first,
and then compress with '-b 1' for the lowest possible setting. I've been
able to get reasonable-sounding ~30 kbps streams from 22.050kHz mono
input.

Of course the psychoacoustics aren't at all tuned for non-44.1 sample
rates, so things won't sound nearly as good as they could, but it's
something.

Hope that helps,
  -ralph