[vorbis] Mp3 to Ogg converter?

Mat Bettinson mat at eurogamer.net
Mon Apr 23 03:25:44 PDT 2001

Heya Oddsock,

O> try http://www.oddsock.org/tools/Jambo/

O> and in my opinion, transcoding is not evil...there are many uses of
O> transcoding from MP3 bitrate X to bitrate Y, so transcoding from MP3
O> bitrate X to OggVorbis bitrate Y is equally useful.  Streaming servers do
O> it all the time.....Think about how the Shoutcast DSP works, it takes a
O> decoded MP3 and reencodes it for broadcasting....This is also exactly what
O> Ices does as well, so surely transcoding can't be *that* evil....And
O> transcoding can definately be faster than re-ripping from original
O> media...my $.02.

Streaming has a purpose. On a purely quality-based level, transcoding
will never improve quality it will only decrease it no matter how good
the new codec (unless it's non-lossy). So with regards to archiving
your own music or something - it would be Evil. If you have a specific
need, then obviously fair enough. However for the most part I'd still
call it Evil :)

By extension, MS' media player which will convert MP3s to WMA is Evil.

--
Mat Bettinson - EuroGamer's Gaming Evangelist with a Goatee
http://www.eurogamer.net | http://www.eurogamer-network.com