[vorbis] Re: ogg123 and stdout

smoerk at gmx.de smoerk at gmx.de
Mon Apr 16 13:40:55 PDT 2001

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001 14:56:31 +0200, fungus wrote:

>> >$ ogg123 http://popstation.de:8002/2.ogg -d wav -o file:/dev/stdout |
>> >sox -t wav - cap.wav
>> Regardless, expecting wav to work is silly.
>
>Why?
>
>PS: Unix wouldn't do it that way anyway, in Unix you'd do:
>
>oggtoraw <myfile.ogg | rawtowav >myfile.wav

this is possible if you know the sampling rate and channels of the
audio, but it's unklikly that a ogg file (or stream) is always 16bit, 2
channel, 44100hz and it's silly to resample to this. so it's better to
pipe a wav or some other format with a header (aiff, au, etc).

i want to reencode a live stream on the fly to mp3

ogg-decoder | mp3-encoder | streaming-app

this is not possible with the existing software.
btw decoder_example isn't working for me, maybe it's only for stereo,
44.1khz files.